Big Shoulders Historic Bar and Food by Bus for UChicago Alumni
- Duration: 210 Minutes (approx.)
- Location: IL
- Product code: BIGUC
Chicago Detours was started by UChicago alum Amanda Scotese, AM ’13. She will be the guide. Special for this tour, we are offering 20% off the regular tour price of $85. Our events with UChicago alumni almost always sell out. This is limited to 37 guests. We advise you to book asap if interested!
The title for this tour comes from a Carl Sandburg poem. His phrase “big shoulders” has come to be a common reference to the city’s labor roots. Bridgeport is Chicago’s oldest neighborhood and borders an industrial district.
In its earlier years, the Bridgeport neighborhood communities were Lithuanian, German, Polish, Czech and Irish. Chinese and Mexican immigrants have moved in recent decades. Most recently, hipsters have joined into the chronology.
We go to three Chicago historic bars that are quintessential to Bridgeport history. One historic bar is actually a secret bar, and not open to the public.You’ll hear fascinating stories culled from the family lore of barkeepers. The foods on our food tour are used as elements of cultural history. Foods we try include an authentic Chinese bao, Lithuanian beer, a Polish cookie, and the “mother-in-law” sandwich–a South Side Chicago specialty.
For this UChicago Alumni group pub crawl tour, guests eat, drink and learn in between being whisked from one experience to another on a luxury 37-passenger coach. We also take a short walking tour for a more up-close experience with the neighborhood, including a look at homes and neighborhood corner buildings.
Our driving portion of our tour includes the Chicago Stock Yards Gate, the former “Bucket of Blood,” the White Sox Stadium, historic factories, art centers, street art murals and a quarry-turned-park. It’s an incredibly fascinating area of Chicago, and we’re very excited about having the University of Chicago Alumni as our guests.
If you’re curious about Amanda’s background, read more here or connect on LinkedIn.
Historic Pub Crawl Food Bus Tour Highlights:
- White Sox stadium
- Chicago Stock Yards Gate from 1875
- Classic Chicago homes, including Mayor Richard J. Daley’s bungalow
- Street art and murals
- A quarry-turned-park
- A historic bakery
Pub Crawl Stories and Ideas:
- The culture of drinking around the turn of the 20th century
- Stories behind each historic bar
- Food history of the “delta tamale” in Chicago
- The South Side’s unique fast food culture
- History of the Chicago Stock Yards
- Ties between drinking industry and Chicago politics
- Driving tour of Bridgeport’s historic sites
- Engaging tour guide commentary
- Three servings of beer or wine per person
- Home-made Chinese bao
- Choice of Chicago hot dog or mother-in-law sandwich
- Polish cheese kolaczki cookies
- All gratuities for servers, tour guide, and driver
- Special gifts
Tour Meeting Spot:
For easy access for both drivers and commuters, we meet just inside 124 S. Wabash (Palmer House Hotel).
- Saturday, April 14th 2:00pm-5:30pm
- Saturday, April 14th 6:00pm-9:30pm
UChicago Alumni Tour Rate:
All-inclusive rate is $68 per person for the 3.5-hour-long tour (normally $85 for private groups).
Tour duration is 3.5hrs with some walking.