Historic Northwest Neighborhood Tour w/ Lunch for UChicago Alumni
- Duration: 150 Minutes (approx.)
- Location: Chicago, IL
- Product code: NORTHWESTNEIGHBORHOODUC
Do something different on our Historic Northwest Neighborhood Tour w/ Lunch for UChicago Alumni, offered only on Saturday, March 2nd at 2:30pm! Our tour starts downtown before venturing into the Northwest neighborhoods of Avondale, North Center, and Albany Park and ending in Irving Park. You'll visit two historic neighborhood bars and a homey ’70s pizza joint for pizza. Non-drinkers are welcome. Plus tour guests will divide into teams for a visual scavenger hunt and prizes will be awarded!
Space is limited for this one-time tour, which is timed perfectly to escape winter cabin fever. You'll explore cozy locales and get to network with fellow alums. While on the bus, tour guide Amanda will share some basic background on these Chicago neighborhoods as well as the stories behind each locale on this educational bar crawl. We have tested and scoped out an excellent mix of stops. UChicago alumni and guests will visit an 80-year-old dive bar, a historic pizza institution, and a neighborhood bar. An entire meal is included, and guests may opt to get a drink package.
This tour is led by Amanda Scotese, AM '13. The Chicago Detours tour company has been bringing people to explore stories and places locals don't even know since 2010. Amanda started the company to offer unique tour experiences that integrate architecture, history and culture. If you’re curious about Amanda’s background, including having worked with travel guru Rick Steves, read more here or connect on LinkedIn.
Come on this one-time tour and you'll get to meet the ever interesting community of UChicago alumni on top of having a memorable time. Our events with UChicago alumni tend to sell out quickly and this special experience is limited to 25 guests. We advise you to book asap if interested!TRANSIT DETAILS
We have designed this tour to end in Irving Park, which is a different location from where it begins. This gives guests the freedom to visit another neighborhood bar after we finish, and to promote using the CTA or Ubers. The last bar is walking distance from the CTA Irving Park blue line station. Drivers may opt to park their car beforehand at the last bar, and then take public transit to downtown to the tour meeting point.
- Explore North West Side Chicago neighborhoods
- Eat delicious pizza in a time-warped institution
- Indulge in a hot Mexican arroz con leche beverage
- Feel cozy among vintage watering hole decor
- Network with fellow alums
- Unique stories behind two bars and a pizza joint/liquor store
- Background on Irving Park and Avondale neighborhoods
- History of drinking in Chicago bars
- Inside scoop on eccentric bar characters
- Play a visual scavenger hunt and win prizes
- Engaging tour guide commentary
- Coach transport from downtown to Northwest side neighborhoods
- Visual scavenger hunt game
- Prizes for all members of winning team
- Meal with appetizer, salad, pizza, taxes and server gratuities
- Hot Mexican rice beverage for dessert
ALCOHOLIC DRINKS ARE NOT INCLUDED. Drink package is $23 cash per person and includes beer, wine or well at first two stops; spiking for hot Mexican rice beverage; and all bartender gratuities on drinks.
Minimal walking. 2.5 hours.